Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dallas Cowboy.

I grew up reading Max Brand, Zane Grey, the Lone Ranger- Tonto, Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, Doc, Holiday etc. later the main fare was watching western movies like – Gunfight at OK corral, Billy the Kid, Magnificent Seven, Last Train from Gun hill, Images of John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas, hover in my mind mingling with echoes of “scalp em’ Paleface & the Arizona Desert. Over the years the Red Indians, Rustlers, Cowboys have all faded into distant memory as I moved beyond the Wild West. However when I landed in Fort Worth, Dallas - Texas, these evocative memories came alive once again. As I got down at the Airport and drove to Plano a warm fragrance enveloped me and I strained hard to catch a glimpse of the Red Indians, Wigwams, Cowboys, Buffaloes, Cattle, Saloons and prairie- where have they all gone? I don’t know. I found instead a vast land of ripe golden corn, large glass and concrete buildings, a labyrinth of free ways with shiny motor cars and pick ups whizzing past me in a blaze of dust. The Palefaces have taken the land and made it rich, a vast fertile growing field of corn, oats, rye, barley and shops bursting with things to eat. No more Injuns, cowboys, scouts, no war cries no, tomahawks no Apache camps, no boot hill. The cemetery blooms and insects flap their wings in reckless joy as the phone towers hum with tweets, chat and messages. I can stand forever but will never see the smoke signals, totem poles, tents or Sioux. The chanting has stopped as now cyberspace has forgotten the old spirits as it carries bits and terabytes - the happy hunting grounds of the nerds and geeks. – Vinay-

No comments:

Post a Comment