Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Diwali in recessionary times

Dear,
It’s the time of the year when lamps are lit and festive cheer hangs in the air. However this year there are dark clouds and the silver lining is not to be seen. I do not play the stock markets and had worked hard to make some money. Last year I got a call from a financial planner, a bright and pretty lady attached to mutual fund. She told me they were monitoring my F.D. account and it’s stupid to let it earn 7% when inflation is galloping at 11% & showed me a presentation replete with charts that showed historical growth of their mutual funds and derivatives. So I parked a large chunk of money thinking I was smart. The first ½ yearly statements showed the same return as my bank, when I asked the girl she said wait for the annualized return & also spelt out some financial jargon. Then the sub-prime bubble burst and my final statement showed that my fund had lost 35% the planner called and said that equity markets are having a re-adjustment wait for the long haul, how long? Will I live that long? Last week the stock markets crashed and my portfolio was reduced to some loose change. This was worse than a divorce for I lost half my nett worth but still have my wife! Is this a tragedy or comedy? There are many diyas flickering in Diwali but the light is one I guess.
I have come to terms with my loss, so many things have gone wrong in my life, contentment lies in the small things, meeting old friends, relatives, eating, drinking, helping and of course writing letters.
Convictions of money, fame were not mine but thrust on me by family and relatives as a philosophical fare in my youth. All of this money, love, happiness can be snatched away without warning.

Exit File:---
Well I guess I must now tighten my belt, hoard soap and tooth paste from the hotels, visit all friends during mealtimes accept every wedding and birthday invitation and be on time with family in tow, wear the same shirt for 2 days with a towel/ hanky tucked rakishly between collar and sweaty neck, use the left over soap suds in the washing machine to wash the dishes/ cutlery, cultivate all army personnel for free booze and shopping at canteen stores (No more malls) borrow newspapers send e-mail greetings from the office computer etc et cetera..

The hard times I went through in youth will stand me in good stead, I can live on water without food, drink gingeberry essence/tarra topped up with Poola (sweat potatoes) as a staple diet, thanks to Ramdoss large unsmoked cigarette stubs are strewn all over public places. I was a mess in my sub prime days. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The only thing left is a chequered life, an aging mother, a nagging wife, fag end career, 2 highly strung children and an interesting childhood!

Regards,
As ever
Vinu

No comments:

Post a Comment