Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An exchange of letters

Dear Babu,
Your missive lying innocuously in my mail box along with all my bills was an eye opener. I had reconciled to the E-mail, SMS, and other disembodied forms of modern communications, a letter was a really a big surprise that too by penny post. The Lakkidi envelope stirred in me waves of nostalgia that was palpable along with sense of deja-vu that took me back to my college days in Wynad, as Lakkidi was the fornicating pit stop en-route to Calicut, and I for a moment relived my past.
All mothers have been cornerstones of our very existence and their humility has been an integral part of our youth. They encouraged us and the impact will always be meaningful and enduring. Sunil has coped with his loss with the empathy of all those connected to him, and some of them had to bear a loss in some form or other.
I came to Bombay as a lonely immigrant in an alien land/state and took advantage of what life offered me. As a youth I too had a dream, to be the big boss of the Company, and I used to gaze wistfully into the large cabin of the CEO sitting beside a large window with 2 telephones one red colored on his desk and a personal lady assistant, a stunning girl like an air-hostess. They lived the good life, large apartments, clubs, parties, and vacations at exotic locales. So I worked my arse off wanting to occupy that corner office one day. Time flies, years go by, the sands of time have killed most of my friends and some jerks too along the way. Now I am in the corner office, the view is not so good (different outfit down-market address) the red phone has been replaced by the blackberry and the laptop both technological marvels that I have yet to master. The money has increased and so has inflation and my expenses, most of it goes maintaining a family and containing my Diabetes, BP and post angina treatment, life is boring and empty. Portfolio shrinks, I sit and drink alone, most of my peers/colleagues/friends are retired, or been terminated. As for me I am the guy who gets things done and where the buck stops. My hair is gone, my teeth are fallen, not enough testosterone to examine the goods behind the
Secretary’s, pink slip that’s showing. I have forgotten to leave the past behind brought most of it with me. Sam had guile but see where it has led him….none of his friends want to meet him,& there is nothing literally in his life that they covet, not his wife,flat, NGO job with Hawaiian trips, or car which takes him years to get from 0 to 60. Our easy access to plastic money is about to dry up and with it our ability to fake living the good life. As long as we live in this world we are bound to encounter problems, everyone has to undergo suffering, so don’t lose hope, overcome the hurdles, romance your female students! Writing is a great stress buster, do it more often. Yes Arthur is the lucky one, lived life to the lees, ate, drank and died (RIP) whatever happened to the rest of his merry men?? Guess I must be thankful I have had an interesting childhood. Regards to your squaw.
As ever
Vinu

No comments:

Post a Comment