Monday, October 15, 2012

Nostalgia's of a Bald Eagle!

In some of my writing I have invoked the landscapes of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) my foster homeland lost to the historical vagaries – now recoverable only in a dream. I was seduced by the beauty of that emerald island. In my youth I used to lose myself amongst its azure blue oceans, windswept beaches, lakes and cloud hidden mountain of Nuwara Eliya. What brought us back to India was the engagement with the anguish and uncertainty of this serene world during the LTTE civil war. My writings reflected the yearnings of my soul as the exile crossing wastelands in his quest for anchorage. The solitary pilgrim following an elusive falling star, or like a magician conjuring up new geographies of the forests and streams in India, in defiance of the brutality of my circumstances. I was ready to commit myself to an uncertain future to sustain the myth, and figured by writing romantic evocations of these alternate worlds- I could t ransfigure my experience , restore a lost dimension of awareness, with my peers who were out of touch, due to my everyday life in India. Not necessarily an escapist, but trying to address the human condition in a manner that dramatized the vulnerability and resilience of the individual. The rivers of the both India and Ceylon and the Blue Mountains bestowed an “auratic” charm and radiance, that liberated them from the regime of time. Over the years I developed and deepened those childhood images within the sub-continent that opened up vistas of reverie and a meditative silence. The childhood images grew more muted and austere, responding to the history of loss, by evoking memories as the ultimate home of the homeless. Now mature with a philosophers mind and a vagabond’s heart, I believe that life should constantly be replenished by encounters with the broader currents of different societies and cultures. The world is a reservoir of past and present images, to be enjoyed for its beauty, nostalgia, surprise and revelations. Its is a living theatre of impulses, event and emotions, whose outcome must be imbibed and enjoyed, in all its complex polyphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment