Monday, October 15, 2012

Once upon a time.

Whenever I see a FB post I fondly remember another era because they expressed a side to us that is forgotten now. A brief period when we had time for friends and family and fierce individuality was frowned upon. A reflection of my youth which I cannot see in the mirror anymore. I was successful with women not because of my six pack abs, but I could resonate with them as individuals and not as the opposite gender, peering deeply into their souls, so that we became the universe and nothing else apart from us existed. We understand each other desire as opposed to the prosaic concerns of normal men. I could light a fire with my words and the romance would deepen the intimacy between us, women liked my poetic masculinity as opposed to the brawny muscle types. There was no insecurity as I always gave them space to mingle with anyone as I never tried to own them. Each one of those women gave a deep meaning to my life- which excluded vulnerability but presented the relationship with a form of thoughtfulness rather than possessiveness or jealousy. As time left us, our youthfulness became atrophied with a thicker maturity that pulled the rug from under our feet, as we struggled with issues like career, love, loss, expectations and survival, the deeper issues that played a pivoted role in our everyday life. The freshness of youth that combined attractiveness has given way to a healthy skepticism as adulthood set in and we are doomed to lead the rest of our lives in wanton amnesia. Like the image in the rear view mirror, I watch my halcyon heydays recede through the rear window till it becomes a distant speck in my consciousness. Memory overflows as sentiments washes over the fading sepia tinted images.

No comments:

Post a Comment