Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Kama's Broken arrow (First Love)


It was a long long time ago in a little island in the sun called Ceylon nestling serendipitously in the glistening emerald green waters of the Indian Ocean. Our family had shifted from the nondescript town of Negambo to the capital of Colombo. One lazy summer afternoon, while exploring the boundaries of my new environment I clambered up the wall dividing neighboring houses. Suddenly I saw a beautiful girl who appeared on the window sill, saw me staring at her paused for a moment and then like a dove that was startled she was gone. From that day on wards I would religiously climb up the wall and wait till she appeared and miraculously she would; we would gaze at each other till with a coy glance she would disappear into her house. One day I cannot recall the date we crossed each other at the intersection of the main road and junction of the private lane leading to our homes. We looked up and our eyes locked, but I was too shy to say anything or even to wave out to her but we smiled, her face half hidden by the Hijab she wore was suffused with a sudden pinkish blush. Like strangers we met but the shaft of Cupids arrow that sprang from her heart embedded itself deeply in my heart – her golden light entered my soul and transformed my heart of clay into a glowing crystal. Slowly we became a part of each other in an unspoken bond of love and I had silently befriended her heart – the fate struck a cruel blow as my family had to leave the country very soon, my heart was heavy with sorrow. It was an amazing coincidence before we were to leave from Ceylon one day she and her mother came to visit her family. We walked past each other in the hall but did not speak, there was no need, we both knew – a part of us had come home to roost in each others heart, a secret treasure found and shared never to be lost or forgotten. She looked so strange and exquisite that my eyes became moist as I stared at her demure figure. Her body was full and the strands of thick hair had a glint of scented oil on the curls falling across her forehead. Her dark bushy eye lashes beneath the veil accentuated her round black eyes and eyebrows. I could see the maddening wisps of dark hair with a patch of drying moistened sweat breaking out of her short blouse sleeves. The whiff of her musky scent escaping her warm hot body as she walked past me put me in a frantic state. It was an enigmatic intimate brief encounter; we couldn’t even say goodbye before leaving. She walked on without looking back there was no need to- in that split second our hearts whispered to each other. Now far away our in another world the latitudes and longitudes unto themselves warp and divide us and those memories. The grief is almost genital as thwarted lust, suffused with limitless desire defy the shards of time – I am waiting for that piece of broken arrow to fly back to me unexpectedly. A part of my youth seems to have been lost or left behind along with her. Though I know I may never see her again – yet that delicious moment will remain with me forever

No comments:

Post a Comment