Thursday, July 14, 2011

The evils of drink

From my childhood years, I have been warned about the evils of drinking; hangovers, ostracism by society, cirrhosis of the liver, risk of cancer and broken homes.
In spite of all this I developed a healthy penchant and bond with alcohol during my teen years. Even doctors who were my buddies and “glass mates”, because they had to retain their moral high ground, live and function within the society milieu; used to request me to abstain, citing ethics of the Hippocratic oath.
Now the International Journal of Epidemiology has declared that; regular light intake of alcohol is good for the heart, increases longevity, and delays the onset of dementia.
In my heart of hearts I had known this all along, but unfortunately my respectable relatives and supposedly morally upright society of those times castigated me severely for my alcohol consumption, ; and pronounced it as a social evil.
Unfortunately for them, they are no longer around; I wish they could see this article and partake of a few glasses o

No comments:

Post a Comment