Saturday, October 15, 2011

home town blues.

It’s a place I feel a deep connection partly due to my roots and school. How our lives can be dramatically changed by acts over which we have no control – riots, LTTE movement – wars. Do we make our lives or do our lives make us? Societies in different parts of the world are now bleeding into each other in what is termed as globalization. I had to leave Calicut to reinvent myself as a bombayite as lack of opportunity and bad luck dogged me, the provincial pieces pf the jigsaw slowly fall into place and the fish and river songs are the only inheritance I have a long way from Tipperary, living on the borrowed nostalgia of a homeland long abandoned. Mildly inebriated I always wanted to return to my childhood home, if only to take a look how the past has changed. Like the grain of salt when dusted the abrasion remains in memory, the place where life stopped- or began, of the still moment when the self is in a deserted room, its furniture no longer expected to function, running away from a dysfunctional childhood to go and buy my own universe. I seized the opportunity to reshape my life and dance on a bigger stage

No comments:

Post a Comment